Reducing Fire Risks at Your Business | SERVPRO® of Northeast Greenville County
While fire risks are likely not top of mind for business owners during their daily operations, it is something that you should take the time to consider regularly to ensure you are doing all you can to prevent fires in the workplace. Not only can office fires be frightening and hazardous to staff, but they can also be a serious liability that puts the future of your business in jeopardy.
Fortunately, by educating your staff about fire safety and practicing it through your own actions, you can significantly reduce the likelihood that a fire may occur in your business. By practicing good habits and making sure to integrate safety efforts into everything you do, you can protect your business and your employees from a fire and subsequent harm.
How to Practice Fire Safety in the Workplace
While some things can’t be avoided, in the event of workplace fires, many can be. Here are some helpful safety tips to implement around your office to keep everyone safer:
- Avoid plugging an excessive amount of electronics into power strips.
- Never plug a power strip into another power strip.
- Be sure your kitchen is well-ventilated and there are no flammable objects near coffee pots, toaster ovens or microwaves.
- Educate everyone about the dangers of continuing to use frayed wires, and issue replacements to any chargers or cables that have become worn.
- Keep fire extinguishers near all common areas and ensure your staff knows how to use them.
- Have regular fire escape drills so everyone feels comfortable quickly exiting the building.
- Never allow emergency exits to be blocked or difficult to access.
- Consult with your local fire marshall on ways you can make your fire safety planning more effective.
- If you have any flammable chemicals or liquids, be sure everyone knows how to store them correctly.
- Avoid clutter, as this can give a fire fuel.
- Regularly meet regarding fire safety efforts so all employees are aware of the proper protocols.
If you have damage to your commercial property due to a fire, you can depend on us for quick and efficient restoration. You can call us 24/7 to report your damage or learn more. Get in touch now.